- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- ½ lb Italian sausage casing removed, if applicable
- ½ lb ground beef
- 1 med onion chopped
- 1 med carrot chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 4 tbsp garlic minced
- ¾ cup dry red wine
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 28 oz can D.O.P. San Marzano whole tomatoes discard liquid, puree tomatoes in blender or food processor
- 8 ozs dried tagliatelle (12 ozs if using fresh pasta) cooked slightly less than indicated on packaging
- 1 tbsp each fresh sage, basil, flatleaf parsley, marjoram, rosemary, and oregano finely chopped
- 1 2.5 oz package each white and brown beech mushrooms earthy stalk bottoms trimmed off
- sea salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes to taste
- 2 ozs Parmigiano-Reggiano finely grated
- 4 sprigs flowering purple basil or sprigs of any herb used
- Place olive oil in large skillet over med-hi heat, cook sausage and beef, breaking-up large pieces as you go, until just turning gray.
- Add onion, celery and carrot. Stir until onion softens, add garlic, stir another minute.
- Add tomato puree, milk and wine. Lower heat to simmer, reducing liquid until Bolognese is more meat than sauce (this may take a little while).
- Just before the sauce is ready, prepare the tagliatelle.
- Stir mushrooms and herbs into sauce, simmer an additional 10 minutes. Taste for seasoning.
- Finish cooking strained pasta in sauce, plate, sprinkle with cheese, garnish and serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!