- 1/2 cup rice prepared according to instructions on package
- 8 flamed bell peppers any color will do
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz Italian sausage
- 8 oz ground beef 70/30
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbs Italian herb blend
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 8 oz whole milk mozzarella portioned into 8 slices
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cut tops off pepper at the widest point, remove seeds and white pith from inside peppers, remove stems from tops, finely chop tops, set aside.
- Place 2 tbs olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Place both sausage and beef in skillet. Break-up and brown partially, about 3 minutes.
- Add chopped pepper tops, onion and garlic to meat, stir and continue cook until onions have softened slightly, about 3 minutes.
- Add dry ingredients, mix well.
- Add crushed tomato, mix well, bring to simmer, remove from heat.
- Stuff each pepper using-up all the meat mixture. It's ok if the stuffing rounds over the top of the peppers or doesn't quite fill them.
- Coat baking sheet with olive oil, place peppers on sheet and put in oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove peppers from oven, place mozzarella slices on each pepper, return to oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted to your liking.
- Garnish with sprig of fresh oregano and serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!