- 24 jumbo shrimp head-on
- 32 ozs heavy cream
- 9 ozs fettuccine fresh, not dried
- 1½ tsp sea salt finely ground, divided
- 2½ tsp white pepper finely ground, divided
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 tbsp olive oil extra virgin, divided
- 2 ozs Parmigiano-Reggiano grated with a micro-plane
- 4 sprigs basil fresh
- Separate shrimp tail meat from head, shell, and tail fin, set shells mixture and meat aside.
- Place shell mixture in 2 quart sauce pan with just enough water to cover, mash with potato masher and bring to boil. Let boil 10 minutes, strain off stock from shells and continue to boil until reduced to 1 cup
- Prepare pasta water: fill 6 quart stock pot with 4 quarts water, add 1 tsp salt, 2 tbsp olive oil, bring to boil
- Add heavy cream to shrimp stock and keep at a boil until volume is reduced by half
- Place fettuccine in boiling pasta water, undercooking slightly, about 2 minutes. Strain pasta, set aside
- Season shrimp tails with 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp white pepper and 1 tsp red pepper flakes.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Sear each side of each shrimp 1 minute, set aside
- Add cream mixture, pasta, 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper to skillet, bring to boil and remove from heat immediately
- Divide pasta and sauce onto four large plates, dust each with cheese, arrange six shrimp on each plate, garnish with a sprig of basil
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!