For the aioli
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp cold water
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ cup olive oil extra virgin
- 3 tbsp fresh basil about 1/2 ounce, finely chopped
For fried shrimp
- 1 lb peeled, deveined, and butterflied shrimp, tail fin attached 16-20 count or larger
- 1 cup flour
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 ½ cups Parmesan finely grated
For the aioli
- Place egg yolk, water, salt and garlic in a small food processor with a drizzle cup (alternate methods below in notes).
- Turn on food processor. Add olive oil in a thin stream.
- Place aioli in small bowl, mix basil in by hand, refrigerate.
For the shrimp
- Set-up a three-bowl breading station of flour, egg, and parmesan.
- Preheat at least 2" deep frying oil in large skillet or stock pot to 350°F.
- Holding each shrimp by the tail, dredge in flour one at a time, making sure to coat all surfaces, shake off excess flour, set aside
- Holding each shrimp by the tail, dredge in egg one at a time, then place into Parmesan, sprinkle layer of Parmesan on top of shrimp and pat lightly to coat.
- Fry shrimp for 1-2 minutes, no more, and drain on paper towels
If you don't have a small food processor with a drizzle cup you can use a mixer, blender, or even do it with a hand whisk but you may want to add more garlic.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!