- 24 uncooked Gulf brown shrimp get the biggest ones you can
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp garlic finely minced
- 1 tsp sea salt fine
- 1 tsp white pepper finely ground
- 1 cup glutinous rice flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 ½ cups gluten-free panko crumbs
- oil suitable for deep frying
- Remove heads (if present) and shell from shrimp leaving the last section of shell and the tail fin. Butterfly, devein and set aside.
- Combine eggs, sour cream, milk, salt, pepper, garlic and lemon zest in medium mixing bowl, whisk until smooth.
- Place rice flour and panko each in separate, flat-bottomed bowls.
- Dredge one shrimp in rice flour, keeping the butterfly open to coat all surfaces, shake-off excess flour. Submerge in egg mixture, keeping butterfly open to coat all surfaces. Open butterfly and place shrimp in panko, press, flip, and press other side making sure all shrimp meat is coated. Repeat for all remaining shrimp.
- Fry shrimp in oil at 375° for two minutes. Only fry as many shrimp at once as you can without overcrowding. Drain on paper towels.
Serve with tartar sauce, homemade fries, and your favorite coleslaw. You can substitute rice cracker meal for the panko by putting rice crackers in your blender or food processor. Just don't grind them into dust, it's better if your cracker meal is a little chunky.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!