- 3 lbs. beef cheek meat
- 2 tsp. Mexican oregano
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. comino
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 bunch cilantro de-stemmed and chopped
- 4 jalapeños de-stemmed, de-seeded, chopped
- Cut cheek meat into 1" chunks, place in large mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle dry ingredients onto meat and turn over several times to distribute spices.
- Place seasoned cheek meat in a pressure cooker on high for 75 minutes, or in an oven bag: in a slow-cooker on low overnight, in a slow-cooker on high 6 hours, or in a 300℉ oven for 6 hours. Drain liquid from barbacoa.
- Heat tortillas one at a time on a lightly-greased cast iron griddle (or skillet or whatever) over medium-high heat until the tortilla puffs slightly, flip, repeat.
- Divide barbacoa onto tortillas, top with onion, cilantro, and jalapeños.
This recipe is written for tacos, but could be served any number of ways including as a breakfast plate as shown in the photo.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!